Are you someone who is searching for a smart security system for your home? Are you worried about the security of your home when you are out of town? Then you’ve landed at the right place. Home security systems have become crucial nowadays. It saves your household and your family members from burglary, fire, and other accidents.
Before moving forward, you need to understand what a home security system is? A smart home security system comes with a set of internet-connected security gadgets. They work altogether to secure your home and consist of sirens, motion detectors, door locks, wireless security cameras, and sensors.
The smart home security system can connect to and communicate with a Smartphone app wirelessly. The Smartphone app allows you to monitor your home when you are away. You can view photos or see video footage and also receive alerts during any emergencies, such as burglary, fire, or flood.
Types of smart home security systems
The wireless smart home security system comes under two categories.
- Professionally installed home security systems
A technician comes to your home to install the system for you. There are trained dispatchers at alarm-monitoring centers who monitor your home 24/7.
- DIY Wireless smart home security systems
Unlike the professional ones, they come with packaged kits to install it yourself. You can self-monitor via your Smartphone for free. They offer the advantage of lower monthly monitoring fees.
How does a smart home security system work?
All the security systems come with pre-installed sensors. For example, if someone breaks into your house when you are out of town, the sensors detect the motion and trigger an alert to your Smartphone app. It is advisable to install the security system at an entry point, such as the window or the door.
A security system comes with these objects- a security camera, motion sensor, smoke and CO detector, base station, Panic button, key fob, keypad, sirens, glass break sensors, and yard signs. All of the components connect to a base station, which, in turn, connects to a mobile app. This allows you to monitor everything remotely. All the systems come with Bluetooth or Wi-Fi enabled facilities.
How can smart home security systems prove most useful to homeowners in terms of safety?
Smart home security systems are effective compared to the traditional ones and offer several significant advantages. Homeowners are choosing the smart security systems over traditional home security models to protect themselves and their loved ones from outside treats and other calamities.
Let us have a look at the advantages that it offers to a homeowner in terms of safety.
- It deters crime
Studies show that if your home has the home security system, then the chance of crime automatically decreases. It also ensures that the number of residential robberies is less even if the people in that area do not have a security system. It not only ensures the safety of your home but also helps your neighborhood.
- You can access your home remotely.
Homeowners can remotely monitor what’s happening in their homes when they are away from their homes. Modern smart security systems also allow you to control the thermostat, door locks, lights, and other devices. For example, you forgot to switch off your bedroom lights in the morning. Do not worry; the security system has got you covered. All you need is a Smartphone, and you can get access to the lights in your home.
- It protects your valuables.
The best smart home security systems help you protect your home from invasion. It helps you to protect your valuables, such as jewelry, electronics, and other high-value items.
- Ensures homeowner’s insurance
If you are someone who has recently installed a wireless smart home security system, there’s good news. The system can lower your insurance by up to 20%.
- Notifies you through an alarm
You can adjust your alarm notifications to receive an emergency warning if your smoke or carbon monoxide alarm goes off.
As you all know, everything comes with pros and cons. Besides the pros that a security system provides, some of the disadvantages are-
- The cost of the equipment can sometimes be on the expensive side.
- It might trigger false alerts.
- People often forget to turn on or arm their security systems.
Best and most effective Smart home security systems
We have researched and listed a few of the best and most effective smart home security systems.
SimpliSafe doesn’t employ any sales force. It allows you to choose the equipment and monitoring level on your own. Also, the product comes with a 60-day money-back guarantee. They also offer affordable monthly professional monitoring facilities. You can avail of the monitoring on demand and will not be bound to any contracts.
SimpliSafe is a good option for homeowners. It comes under the cheapest smart home security systems range. You can easily do the setup yourself, and the wireless system does not require any drilling or landline. Before buying, choose the security sensors that you want for your home. Once you receive the product, you need to install it. No tools are required. You can visit their official website to buy this security system.
The Frontpoint security systems come with no-cost DIY installation. It offers outstanding customer service and takes care of its customers. Their customers stick around the product for an average of eight years. Besides, it offers Smart home integration along with a mobile app in all plans. The alarm company covers the smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in all plans. The Frontpoint helps you to get the best residential security features without any hassle and extra costs.
The high-end technology and equipment of this product allow you to have hands-free voice control features. It allows you to control everything from the tip of your fingers. They have a short-term contract, which ranges from 42 to 60 months. It also offers a lifetime warranty on all the equipment. They are a bit on the high end and also come with Steep termination fees.
- Ring alarm security system
It is one of the low-priced smart home security systems but the effective one. It comes with a cellular backup and is compatible with the Ring Video doorbells and cameras. They are easy to install and support multiple wireless platforms.
- ADT Pulse
The ADT pulse is the best full-service home security system. It includes lots of available components, a mobile app, and a popular third-party device. They are a bit on the expensive side. It comes with a three-year contract policy.
Must Read: How to Prepare for a Storm
Smart home security systems let you monitor, control, and interact with your home during any burglary from an app on your Smartphone or tablet. But the question arises, is it worth investing in this smart technology? People often do not have the right knowledge about security systems and end up buying something that is not relevant.
Let us walk through the features that you must consider when planning to buy a smart security system.
- Long Wi-Fi range is essential: Most of the smart home security systems make use of Wi-Fi to communicate. If your house is big, try choosing a security system that gives an extended coverage of Wi-Fi with a range of 100 meters.
- Should be compatible with your Smartphone: Wireless smart home security systems are Smartphone compatible. It becomes easy for you to control from one click on your mobile phone. You do not have to worry when you’re at work or watching TV at home. Through the mobile app, you quickly get all the notifications whenever your security system’s sensors and signals are triggered. Whenever your security camera detects motion, you’ll automatically get a notification on your mobile app, and you can also see live footage.
- Professional monitoring: When you decide to go with your security system’s professional monitoring facility, you do not have to worry anymore. It gives you around-the-clock surveillance. There are monitoring specialists who are always available to assist you whenever your alarm is triggered. When the monitoring station receives an alert, they quickly investigate the situation and notify you about it. A professional monitoring system is better than self-monitoring, as it ensures more safety.
- The design: The wireless smart home security is designed to be small, yet powerful. Design plays a crucial role whenever you are going to buy a security system. They should be stylish and should easily blend into your home’s design.
- Should have a good battery backup: A good battery backup ensures that your battery can still function even if a power cut occurs or any of the components gets unplugged. You can remain at peace.
- Expandability: After installing the security system, you should be able to add more equipment if required. Before buying, you must look at your security system to add additional sensors, security cameras, and other necessary security equipment. Hence, you should always be aware of how many more equipment you will be able to add to your existing system.
- Usability: During panic situations, you must instantly know the place to find the panic button. Your system should be designed in such a way that you should be able to understand what each alert or sound means. The smart security system should be smart enough to notify you if a power outage or the batteries are low.
Given below are some of the frequently asked questions about the smart home security systems:
- Can I view my cameras from my Smartphone?
Yes, you can easily view the cameras from anywhere on your Smartphone s without any hassle. The advanced technology has made the work more comfortable and convenient.
- How much does a smart home security system cost?
The total cost of a security system depends on the type of device you are buying. The benefits, features, and the provider determine the price of a security system. Nowadays, companies are making affordable home security systems that do not create a hole in your pocket. They are budget-friendly.
- Where should smart home security cameras be installed?
It is advisable to install the cameras to cover many of the areas as much as possible, for Example, Front, back, and side doors. Thefts often occur when a burglar tries to enter your home from the front door or the back door. Other places where you can install the cameras are the off-street windows, driveways, stairways, and common areas.
- Why do we need a smart home security system?
Installing a camera in your house can decrease the chance of crime. When burglars see that you have a security system installed in your home, they tend to give up. The research from Rutgers University has shown that the alarm system at one house makes the surrounding areas less prone to burglars.
- What are the best types of wireless smart home security systems?
The best types are the one that comes with a WiFi-enabled system and provides professional monitoring and cellular backup in it. Some of the top brands to go with are the Ring ALer, ADT, Frontpoint, etc.
- Are wireless home security systems better?
All smart security systems are wireless. They come with a streamlined installation, and you can place it anywhere. It is more convenient than the hardwired alarm systems.
Choosing the best smart security system for your home can be a challenging task. Smart home security systems come with their pros and cons. They are affordable than the traditional hardwired systems and very easy to install. Hence, the wireless smart home security systems are user-friendly and serve as an excellent alternative for renters and small homeowners. They can be professionally monitored and always notify you of an intruder. Always do your research properly and go for the best smart home security systems.