Waving goodbyes to the cold weather and saying hello to the warm season; the more you want to come out of your houses, the pests are interested in going in. Eww!! Pest invasions are pretty irritating. Insects, bed bugs, roaches or rodents, these creepy crawlies are a huge problem. Now each time you cannot afford to call a pest control professional, right? You surely need to look for some alternate solutions. So, here in this post, we will introduce you to the best ways to keep pests out of your house.
How To Protect Your House From Pests Attacks?
Well, there are certain circumstances under which pest are more attracted to your house. Taking a serious notice and eliminating such conditions will immensely going to help you for sure. Check out the following pointers for keeping your home protected from the pests attacks.
Taking care of your yard and maintaining it not only delivers a soothing look but also help in keeping you safe from the pests. What you need to do is to check out for the following situations in your yard and then act accordingly:
- Mosquitos require water to breed. So, it is highly advisable to remove the pooled water in your yard. The standing water in the lawn can also create issues. The aeration procedures can help you in this regard, thus, allows the water the get naturally absorb in the soil.
- If you have fountains or bird baths, change their water at least two times a week. This way the hatching of the eggs of mosquitos is discouraged.
- Keep your drains and gutters clean and free from debris and leaves for their active operations. Moreover, after working in the yard, remove the piles of leaves as they are the ideal place for the pests to hide themselves.
- If you have a pool, filter and chlorinate regularly, even if it is not being used.
- Grow a Marigold plant in your yard. It is the plant with a fragrance that is anti-bug. Thus it can effectively deal with the bugs around.
Filling gaps and cracks:
Cracks and gaps inside and around the house are usually overlooked by us that are generally said to be the main entrance points of the insects. Take a skeptical round of the house, and you will be surprised to see a lot of openings. Check for the broken doors and windows, cracked foundation, gaps around incoming utility lines, rotted wood and damaged section of siding or the bricks. In case of finding gaps and cracks:
- Repair or replace the rotted wood and dented siding.
- Clear the bricks that are damaged and switch to the new ones. The joints should be filled with mortar.
- The roof lines should be critically inspected as these usually become the home of bees and wasps.
- Another option is to use the caulk to fill in the small cracks and gaps in the siding, foundation, and under or behind the kitchen cabinets. Moreover, it can also be used to seal the joints.
Do not invite bugs to the dinner:
Insects need food to survive and if the eatables are not stored properly, they will surely going to appeal to them, and the moment you take a thoughtful action, their party will be over. Therefore;
- Avoid leaving food open. Store the leftovers in airtight containers.
- Fruit flies can get into your house with the fresh fruits. So wash the fruit immediately on reaching home. For better results, make a mixture of water and baking soda and sufficiently wash fruits with it. It will not only keep the pests away but also remove the eggs which are difficult to see with a human eye.
- Wipe up all the crumbs as soon as you finish eating.
- Wash the dishes instantly or put them in the dishwasher. A sink filled with dirty dishes definitely welcome the bugs.
- And of course, do not forget those pet bowls as they are incredibly tempting for the ants and the cockroaches.
Keeping bedbugs at bay:
Bedbugs once hid in your beds are hard to get rid of and cause you severe itching problems. For bed bug;
- Closely inspect furniture coming to your house.
- Use light-colored zipper cover to encase your mattress. On the light color mattress, the bugs are easily visible.
- Immediately wash the clothes you wore on a trip to the hotel or from the sleepovers.
- Put your dryer on the high heat and place your washed clothes to get dried in it. The high temperature will kill the bugs.
- You can apply kerosene oil on the sides, corners and the joints of the bed to keep the bugs away.
Dispose of the trash properly:
A neat and clean home is less attracted to the bugs. Trash in the home is a scrumptious feast for the cockroaches. Hence;
- Keep the trash in the kitchen waste bin and not in the other dustbins throughout the house.
- The bin should have a proper lid on top.
- Empty the bins regularly on every night
- The bins should be washed and sanitized frequently
I hope the pointers mentioned above will offer you great help. However, cleanliness is the most important factor as insects breed in the dirty areas and clean places keep them away.